3/25/2006

Cole slaws

Mmm, cole slaw. Both the recipes here make enough for 1 lb. of shredded cabbage, which I usually buy pre-cut as a package of tri-color slaw from the grocery store. Gudda's recipe is creamy and savory; not really my favorite, but recorded for here for posterity. I suspect it's pretty typical Pennsylvania Dutch. The other is my creation, modeled after the NC slaws I associate with church pig-pickin's and carry-out fried chicken. It should sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours, so the sugar can draw some water out of the cabbage -- otherwise the dressing is too heavy and too sweet.

Gudda's Cole Slaw

  1. 1/2 c mayonnaise
  2. 2 T cider vinegar
  3. 1 T grated onion
  4. 1/2 t celery seed
  5. 1 t sugar
  6. 1/2 t salt
  7. 1/8 t pepper

My Sweet White Slaw
  1. 1/2 c mayonnaise
  2. 1/4 c sugar
  3. 2 T white wine
  4. 2 T white wine vinegar
  5. salt, pepper, celery seed

No comments: