1/02/2006

Flour of all trades, master of none

The more baking I begin to do, the more I feel there's no place in my kitchen for "all purpose" flour. Like most all purpose things, it's not particularly good at anything -- not enough protein for bread, and too much for biscuits. So instead, I'm going to try to keep two flours: King Arthur unbleached all-purpose (which, despite the name, is closer to a bread flour) and White Lily. The King Arthur is good for breads and breadings, where you want high protein content (for strength and for browning, respectively). The White Lily is good for biscuits, cakes, and pastry, where you want to avoid developing much gluten. We'll see how this scheme works out.

On the subject of flour, I've realized there's a lot of variation in whole wheat flours. I had a bag of Hodgson's Mill "stone ground" whole wheat hanging around, and the two things I baked with it turned out different (read: worse) than when I'd used King Arthur whole wheat, which seems to have much finer particles. I've seen in the King Arthur's catalog that they have a "white whole wheat", which supposedly tastes and bakes more like white flour but still has all the good fiber of whole wheat. I'll be excited to try it...

No comments: