1/01/2006

Navy bean salad at Bakus

Katy and I had the best New Year's dinner, at a tapas bar on 9th St (www.bakus.us). Though it's gotten mixed reviews, we loved the slightly Americanized yet still Spanish-gourmet plates. We had pork in a fig-sherry-cream sauce, apple wedges with almonds slivers and creamy cinnamon dressing, and fried plaintain slices with goat cheese. We shared a chicken breast entree that paired tomatoes and spinach with apples and raisins, which was a much better combo than I would have thought. But my favorite was the bean salad that accompanied the cheese plate: it could stand in for a potato salad any time. Via our kind waitress, the chef said there were 10 ingredients, which I can mostly remember:

  1. navy beans
  2. chorizo sausage (presumably Spanish style, not Mexican)
  3. red (bell) pepper
  4. onions
  5. olives (black or green?)
  6. cilantro
  7. cumin
  8. olive oil
  9. lemon juice
  10. salt & pepper
I haven't worked out the proportions yet, but I'll post it here sometime if I do!

Come to think of it, this would make a nice hummus too. Maybe I'll try that some time...

No comments: