4/29/2007

Baked Gruyere Scallops

Taken from the Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, this dish has become a family tradition whenever we go to the beach. And you need a hard day playing in the surf to work this off...

The cheese for this dish will be relatively expensive, in the $10+/lb range, but don't skimp: you need good-quality ingredients to make this dish shine. Scallops aren't cheap either, come to think of it. I guess that's why I make it at the beach when my parents are paying!

In a large skillet, saute 2-3 minutes, then drain and set aside:

  1. 2 T butter
  2. 1 lb bay scallops

In same skillet, saute until tender:
  1. 2 T butter
  2. 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  3. 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
Stir in scallops and
  1. 6 oz shredded Gruyere or other Swiss cheese (e.g. Emmentaler)
  2. 1/2 c mayonnaise
  3. 1/4 c dry white wine
  4. 1 T lemon juice
Spoon into greased oven-safe dish (one large or four individual) and broil 6" from heat until browned, about 2-3 minutes.

4 comments:

Makeup Junkie said...

I tried this recipe last night and it was very tasty, but something seems to be missing. With all those liquids and no thickener, it was basically soup - a great fondue or maybe a sauce to put over pasta? But it was my impression that this should be a stand-alone recipe, like a casserole, right? I don't know where else to find a copy of this recipe from Southern Living, so I can't compare and see if something is missing from your copy.

Ian said...

@Makeup Junkie - I double-checked the recipe, and nothing got left out. It is indeed a fondue-like cheese sauce that surrounds the scallops, and my family likes to eat it over white rice. Maybe you'd like it better that way?

Logan Bertram said...

God, this dish is my coup de grace when I'm trying to one up my friend's recipes.

Personally, I serve it in pastry shells.

Anonymous said...

The southern living recipe had cubed French bread in it and on top. And I thought the cheese was fontina. I had put the recipe in my binder and now cannot find it!!!